The Proposed Development
The proposed development comprises of the erection of a new Lidl neighbourhood food store together with associated car parking, services and landscaping. The store will be a major new investment in Tiverton town, positively contributing to the town’s economy and employment as well as enhancing the existing retail offer.
The new Lidl food store will be located to the north of Blundell’s Road with a dedicated delivery bay to the north-east of the proposed store. The new store will extend to 2,125 sq. m (Gross Internal Area) with a sales area of 1,325 sq. m. Vehicular access to the site will be from the existing Foundry Estate entrance to the south west of the site.
The store will be supported by 123 parking spaces at surface level, including 6 disabled and 8 parent and child spaces near to the store entrance with an electric charging point serving 2 further spaces. Secure cycle storage will also be provided. A trolley bay is located adjacent to the store entrance.
It is proposed that the food store will be open between the hours of:
- 8am to 10pm Monday to Saturday (including Bank Holidays), and
- 10am to 4pm or 11am to 5pm on Sundays.
As part of the overall development there will also be provision for a future bulky goods non-food retailer, the end user for which is not known at present.
Pedestrians will be able to access the site from one dedicated access point to the south-west of the store with a zebra crossing facilitating safe access to the store entrance.
All waste will be stored within the warehouse area and will be collected at the same time as deliveries, thereby minimising HGV movements within the car parking area.
Benefits of the Proposed Development
The new neighbourhood Lidl food store will provide the following benefits to Tiverton town centre and the surrounding local area:
- A purpose built store which provides a clean and fresh shopping experience to meet the needs of customers;
- A dedicated in-store bakery;
- Improved shopping choice and provision of a new mainstream discount operator for Tiverton and the surrounding area;
- A contemporary building design that will complement the surrounding area along with the development of currently disused land;
- Employment opportunities including up to 40 new jobs, both part-time and full-time for local residents;
- More people visiting and spending money in the town;
- A landscaping scheme which will improve the visual amenity of the site including soft landscaping around the boundary of the site.